Couples Rehab in Orange County, CA
Table of Contents
Breaking the cycle of addiction when both couple members face addiction or mental health issues can be challenging. One partner may deny the problem, or both may be reluctant to seek help. Dealing with addiction or mental health problems can strain the relationship. As a result, couples may be caught in a vicious cycle, with each partner’s issues exacerbating the other’s.
If untreated, addiction and mental health problems can destroy vital relationships. Fortunately, Enhance Health Group offers various therapies to help couples break the cycle of addiction. We help couples address their mental health problems and build healthy, lasting relationships.
Signs that Couples' Rehab May Be Beneficial
Though it is often thought of as a last resort, couples rehab can be highly beneficial. Addiction tends to worsen already existing issues and introduce new ones. This leads to an increase in use to cope with relationship strain.
Couples rehab helps partners struggling with communication, conflict resolution, violence, codependence, etc. These couples receive the tools they need to improve their relationship in rehab. It can also provide a safe space for couples to explore the root causes of their problems. Couples can also learn how to support each other better.
For those who are considering couples rehab, here are the signs that it could be beneficial:
- Frequent arguments: Partners who are always arguing and fighting during or after drug use may need help communicating with each other. Addiction can severely damage the relationship and make maintaining it incredibly difficult.
- Lack of deeper connection: Another sign couples rehab may be beneficial is when partners find it hard to connect. They may find they cannot connect on a deeper level unless they’re on drugs. Couples’ rehab can help them learn how to share their feelings and needs without drugs or alcohol.
- Not enjoying each other’s company anymore: Couples rehab can also benefit couples who no longer enjoy their time together. It can help reignite the spark in your relationship.
- Neglecting basic responsibilities: Couples may benefit from couples rehab if they neglect basic responsibilities. These can include home maintenance and childcare due to drug use.
If one or both spouses experiences any of these signs, it may be time to consider couples rehab. With the help of a trained counselor, couples can learn the skills they need to build a stronger, more lasting relationship.
Signs of Codependency
Couples seeking treatment together is a very positive step. However, it is essential to be aware of the potential dangers of codependency. Unresolved codependency can have an impact on both people’s recovery.
When one partner becomes too focused on their loved one, they may lose sight of their own needs. This can lead to a situation where the individual sacrifices their recovery to support their partner.
Some common signs of codependency include:
- Unhealthy Dependency on the Other Partner: This can manifest in many ways. Such as relying on them for emotional support or validation or needing them to care for the other financially.
- A Need to “Save” Others: A codependent partner may feel the need to protect their spouse from all harm. If their spouse makes a mistake, they’ll likely try to fix the situation on their partner’s behalf. This can prevent their spouse from learning from their mistakes or becoming independent. It may also enable abuse or addiction to continue unchallenged.
- Control Issues: A codependent spouse will have difficulty spending time apart from their partner and may become possessive or jealous. If a partner fails, the other may feel like they failed.
- Lack of boundaries: Codependent people may have difficulty saying no to their partners. This is true even when they are uncomfortable with what is being asked of them. They may also hide their true feelings and thoughts to avoid hurting their spouse.
- Self-denial: A codependent partner will prioritize the well-being of the other spouse over their own. They may deny their own needs for self-care, emotional support, and rest. They may feel anxious or guilty when asserting their desires or uneasy when others offer support.
While it is important to be supportive, it is also essential that each person remains focused on their journey. That way, both partners can make a full and lasting recovery.
Couples Rehab for Addiction
Couples rehab for addiction is a specialized treatment that helps couples recover from substance abuse together. It provides a structured environment where couples can detox from drugs and alcohol. While also learning how to live sober and receive therapy from working through any underlying issues. Couples rehab is an excellent option for couples who are facing addiction together.
At Enhance Health Group, we believe that motivation is a critical factor in the success of couples rehab. When both partners are equally committed to recovery, they can support and encourage each other throughout the treatment process. Couples rehab for addiction typically involves:
The process typically begins with an initial assessment to determine the level of care each needs. During the assessment, mental health and addiction needs will be established. Depending on the diagnosis, a customized treatment plan can be created to best treat each individual within the couple.
Couples therapy is designed to uncover and address underlying issues that lead to addiction. At Enhance Health Group, we provide both behavioral and group therapy as part of couple therapy. Group therapy provides couples with support and accountability from other couples facing similar challenges. While behavioral couple therapy focuses on the addiction and the resultant relationship problems.
Behavioral couples therapy aims to:
- Eliminate drug abuse
- Restructures the couple’s dynamic to sustain long-term sobriety.
- Engage family members to help support the couple’s effort to change.
According to the National Institutes of Health, couples who participated in behavioral couples therapy had higher reductions in substance use. This is compared to those who only received individual counseling. They also report higher satisfaction levels and improvements in other areas of relationship and family functioning.
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
MAT uses a combination of medication and behavioral therapy to address the underlying causes of addiction. For couples in recovery, medication-assisted treatment can provide much-needed support. The medication helps to reduce cravings and ease withdrawal symptoms. While the therapy addresses the relationship issues that may have contributed to the addiction.
Couples can overcome their addiction by working together and building stronger, healthier relationships. Medication-assisted treatment can make all the difference for couples in recovery.
Sober Living for Couples
After treatment, couples may choose to enter sober living facilities. These facilities provide a safe and supportive environment as they adjust to life without drugs or alcohol. Sober living provides support and structure for people in recovery and can be essential in maintaining sobriety. Couples committed to staying sober may find living in a sober community beneficial.
Sober living communities have strict drug use rules, and residents must abstain from using drugs or alcohol. This can create a safe and supportive environment for couples in recovery.
Couples Rehab for Mental Health
Couples with mental health issues can also benefit from rehab services. Enhance Health Group provides a safe, structured environment for couples to improve communication, resolve conflict, and build trust. Couples will participate in individual and group therapy and activities promoting bonding and intimacy during treatment. They will also have opportunities to explore their feelings and learn new ways of coping with mental health issues.
Mental health issues tend to co-occur with substance abuse. If this is the case for the couples, they’ll need a holistic approach that addresses the dual diagnosis.
The couple’s rehab experience will address the underlying issues. These issues may include stress, anxiety, depression, and interpersonal problems. Individual addiction rehab will address substance abuse exclusively.
Couples Treatment for Addiction or Mental Health in Orange County, CA
Couples struggling with addiction or mental health issues can get help at Enhance Health Group. Our evidence-based treatment programs can help with both mental health and substance use disorders. Addressing the underlying issues motivating abuse of drugs or alcohol in the first place can benefit long-term recovery.
This holistic approach has proven incredibly successful. Our highly trained staff are ready and waiting to help couples get their life and relationship back on track. Contact us today to learn more about Enhance Health Group and how we can support you in your recovery.